Surprise!
Surprise!
Some of us like surprises, some of us don't.
Usually it depends on the type of surprise.
I love surprises that the end result is me walking away a little happier than I was before.
But those surprises where I walk away feeling sad and frustrated are just no good.
I've had a lot of surprises this week...
1. Finding out that the family will be heading out to the Chesapeake Bay area soon.
I have missed the east coast so much since moving to Utah three years ago, so this was a pleasant surprise. Not only does this job make my dad happy and excited, and I can hear it in his voice that he is returning to being the same jovial man I knew back when he was in the military. This job also provides a good opportunity for me and my future. My family will be about an hor from Washington DC, which is the hubcap for homeland security jobs. Seeing that I do not have a family of my own to worry about, I can safely go out there and pursue a career in my field.
2. I got accepted to the Service-Scholar Leadership Program.
I thought that because I am a senior, this was not going to be possible, but it's going to work out. Pretty sweet, graduating with service distinctions!
3. Being Contacted By Someone I Had Lost Any Hope In Hearing From Ever.
I was contacted by someone earlier this week who is just a really awesome person. I haven't talked to him in quite a while, and I was very surprised when he contacted me. I really hope that we can get together sometime soon. I would love that.
4. I Got To See Some Dear Friends I Haven't Seen In Ages
I got to see some friends today who I haven't seen in ages. I was pleasantly surprised when my friend, Dakota texted me after the institute service project and asked if I could get together. I haven't seen her since the beginning of the summer, so it was great spending the day with her. We also went and saw some of our other friends from back when, some who i haven't seen in over a year, back before they went and did a year in Afghanistan, and another who has been in Germany for about 7 months. It was quick, but it was great.
5. I was offered a spot in the Student Temporary Employment Program for next semester.
I had forgotten that I applied for this over the summer. The job would be in DC, with the Department of State. It would be a really great opportunity, but I have been praying a lot lately for guidance on what to do next semseter, and I keep getting the impression that I should stay here and finish out my degree in Provo and then look to the future. I have been fighting this, but just last week I was reading in my scriptures and I read Jacob 4:10."Wherefore, brethren, seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from his hand. For behold, ye yourselves know that he counseleth in wisdom and in justice, and in great mercy, over all his works." While this surprise should be an obvious answer, I realize that the Lord might have something in store for me instead, something that will be better for me on a more eternal perspective, so I think I know what I am not doing next semester.
Sounds like a pretty good week. I swear, when you strive to do the will of the Lord, life is just better:)
Some of us like surprises, some of us don't.
Usually it depends on the type of surprise.
I love surprises that the end result is me walking away a little happier than I was before.
But those surprises where I walk away feeling sad and frustrated are just no good.
I've had a lot of surprises this week...
1. Finding out that the family will be heading out to the Chesapeake Bay area soon.
I have missed the east coast so much since moving to Utah three years ago, so this was a pleasant surprise. Not only does this job make my dad happy and excited, and I can hear it in his voice that he is returning to being the same jovial man I knew back when he was in the military. This job also provides a good opportunity for me and my future. My family will be about an hor from Washington DC, which is the hubcap for homeland security jobs. Seeing that I do not have a family of my own to worry about, I can safely go out there and pursue a career in my field.
2. I got accepted to the Service-Scholar Leadership Program.
I thought that because I am a senior, this was not going to be possible, but it's going to work out. Pretty sweet, graduating with service distinctions!
3. Being Contacted By Someone I Had Lost Any Hope In Hearing From Ever.
I was contacted by someone earlier this week who is just a really awesome person. I haven't talked to him in quite a while, and I was very surprised when he contacted me. I really hope that we can get together sometime soon. I would love that.
4. I Got To See Some Dear Friends I Haven't Seen In Ages
I got to see some friends today who I haven't seen in ages. I was pleasantly surprised when my friend, Dakota texted me after the institute service project and asked if I could get together. I haven't seen her since the beginning of the summer, so it was great spending the day with her. We also went and saw some of our other friends from back when, some who i haven't seen in over a year, back before they went and did a year in Afghanistan, and another who has been in Germany for about 7 months. It was quick, but it was great.
5. I was offered a spot in the Student Temporary Employment Program for next semester.
I had forgotten that I applied for this over the summer. The job would be in DC, with the Department of State. It would be a really great opportunity, but I have been praying a lot lately for guidance on what to do next semseter, and I keep getting the impression that I should stay here and finish out my degree in Provo and then look to the future. I have been fighting this, but just last week I was reading in my scriptures and I read Jacob 4:10."Wherefore, brethren, seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from his hand. For behold, ye yourselves know that he counseleth in wisdom and in justice, and in great mercy, over all his works." While this surprise should be an obvious answer, I realize that the Lord might have something in store for me instead, something that will be better for me on a more eternal perspective, so I think I know what I am not doing next semester.
Sounds like a pretty good week. I swear, when you strive to do the will of the Lord, life is just better:)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home