Valentines Day, What A Scam!
So this year is one of those years where I can be all anti-Valentines because I'm not in a relationship and I will be spending tomorrow night babysitting for a BYU English professor rather than being an obnoxiously cute couple with some guy who I go around claiming to be my "soulmate". I'm sorry to break it to you, but there is no such thing as "finding your soulmate". You don't find your soulmate. A soulmate is a person who you love, and over time, you make them your soulmate. It's not like you can go to a store and pick one up for $19.95 in the "As Seen On TV" section. It takes time and energy to make someone your soulmate.
But seriously, back to the Valentines Day business...
I get frustrated about Valentines Day, whether I am dating a guy or not. I don't understand why there needs to be this day to have grand gestures to prove you love someone? Newflash! How about you just treat me well everyday? I'd rather be in a relationship where my man is cute and sweet every day than one where he's pretty lame except on big celebration days when he goes all out. Maybe it's just because that is how I am with people who are important to me, but I'd rather have consistent little reminders that you were thinking about me than have a big celebration where you buy flowers that cost twice as much as what they usually do, take me to a nice, overpriced, over populated, noisy restaurant, and give me a card that doesn't sound like anything you'd ever actually say to me. I was walking through WalMart earlier because I am in Cedar City and there really isn't much else to do here, and I went down the card aisles because I wanted to get a get well card for a friend whose been feeling crummy. I noticed that the Valentines cards took up over half of the shelves, and yet the cards that were simply "Thinking About You" were limited to less than a dozen to choose from. Those have been some of my favorite cards to mail to friends and loved ones when I just wanted them to know that someone was thinking about them. To me, these little dollar cards mean a lot more than a $5 card that has Rod Stewart belting out "Have I Told You Lately?" No honey, you haven't told me lately, and you still haven't, Rod Stewart did it for you.
Another thing, it really makes me made how flowers double and triple in price during Valentines. Perfect example goes to Provo's local Flower Patch. The Flower Patch is a really cute flower shop that always has a sign up letting people know that they can buy a dozen roses for $19.99. All the sudden, a week before Valentine's Day, the sign goes down, and when you go to ask how much a dozen roses will cost, they tell you they'll be about $55. I understand supply-demand, but is that really any reason to more than double the cost of flowers? Apparently it is, and the best part is that we still go and spend the extra money. Instead of dishing out the extra cash for flowers on Valentine's day, I guarantee your lady will love getting flowers any random day simply because you know she's been studying really hard for the GRE or because she's been dealing with a lousy boss at work.
Also, chocolates are nice, but you guys are looking for the skinny girls, yet you continue to dish out money on chocolates for us. Don't get frustrated when the girl you are dating is no longer a size 4 when you are going and buying her chocolates that she'll secretly finish in a day.
Instead of going around telling people that Valentine's Day is the day they need to be romantic, let's realize that everyday is the day to be romantic. If you love someone, let them know everyday, not just the days that Hallmark, Proflowers.com and Godiva tell you you need to. People need constant affirmation, especially the ladies. I'd hate to compare myself to a dog, but think about the dog who gets no attention and the one who gets it's daily walks and pettings. The one who only gets shown that it's owner loves it every once in a while tends to be really annoying after getting that attention it has been seeking for so long. On the other hand, you have a dog whose owners show attention to everyday in little ways. This dog is always loyal, has a pretty consistently good demeanor, and is much more enjoyable to be around. That's the same way us girls are. Terrible analogy, but it made the most sense to me.
But seriously, back to the Valentines Day business...
I get frustrated about Valentines Day, whether I am dating a guy or not. I don't understand why there needs to be this day to have grand gestures to prove you love someone? Newflash! How about you just treat me well everyday? I'd rather be in a relationship where my man is cute and sweet every day than one where he's pretty lame except on big celebration days when he goes all out. Maybe it's just because that is how I am with people who are important to me, but I'd rather have consistent little reminders that you were thinking about me than have a big celebration where you buy flowers that cost twice as much as what they usually do, take me to a nice, overpriced, over populated, noisy restaurant, and give me a card that doesn't sound like anything you'd ever actually say to me. I was walking through WalMart earlier because I am in Cedar City and there really isn't much else to do here, and I went down the card aisles because I wanted to get a get well card for a friend whose been feeling crummy. I noticed that the Valentines cards took up over half of the shelves, and yet the cards that were simply "Thinking About You" were limited to less than a dozen to choose from. Those have been some of my favorite cards to mail to friends and loved ones when I just wanted them to know that someone was thinking about them. To me, these little dollar cards mean a lot more than a $5 card that has Rod Stewart belting out "Have I Told You Lately?" No honey, you haven't told me lately, and you still haven't, Rod Stewart did it for you.
Another thing, it really makes me made how flowers double and triple in price during Valentines. Perfect example goes to Provo's local Flower Patch. The Flower Patch is a really cute flower shop that always has a sign up letting people know that they can buy a dozen roses for $19.99. All the sudden, a week before Valentine's Day, the sign goes down, and when you go to ask how much a dozen roses will cost, they tell you they'll be about $55. I understand supply-demand, but is that really any reason to more than double the cost of flowers? Apparently it is, and the best part is that we still go and spend the extra money. Instead of dishing out the extra cash for flowers on Valentine's day, I guarantee your lady will love getting flowers any random day simply because you know she's been studying really hard for the GRE or because she's been dealing with a lousy boss at work.
Also, chocolates are nice, but you guys are looking for the skinny girls, yet you continue to dish out money on chocolates for us. Don't get frustrated when the girl you are dating is no longer a size 4 when you are going and buying her chocolates that she'll secretly finish in a day.
Instead of going around telling people that Valentine's Day is the day they need to be romantic, let's realize that everyday is the day to be romantic. If you love someone, let them know everyday, not just the days that Hallmark, Proflowers.com and Godiva tell you you need to. People need constant affirmation, especially the ladies. I'd hate to compare myself to a dog, but think about the dog who gets no attention and the one who gets it's daily walks and pettings. The one who only gets shown that it's owner loves it every once in a while tends to be really annoying after getting that attention it has been seeking for so long. On the other hand, you have a dog whose owners show attention to everyday in little ways. This dog is always loyal, has a pretty consistently good demeanor, and is much more enjoyable to be around. That's the same way us girls are. Terrible analogy, but it made the most sense to me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home